[thelist] Max file size for site-wide header graphic

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 2 13:35:01 CST 2002

> > OK, its online at http://www.stemofficial.co.uk/site/ I have got it
> > down to 19kb, but I think I will start chopping it up a bit as

well, i dragged it into IR, but i couldn't get it much smaller after
chopping -- primarily because the the .gif compression gets hosed
on all the extra data...

here's my take...

the entire bg should be a bg image...

make the three guys a .gif... you could get that down to 32
colors... make them transparent and aliased to the bg image...

the name should absolutely be a .gif...

the photo on the right would sit on the bg and float right, becoming
the single largest element in the package... it would exist in it's
own cell, whereas the left cell would contain the photos floating left
and the text floating right...

make any sense?

i'm a bandwidth geek, so i'll absolutely do stuff like this in my
designs... the advantage to breaking it up is that you can make it
liquid, so it can scale up and down, allowing you to use it in a lot
more places...