[thelist] search engines, relocation and cookies

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sat Mar 2 15:16:01 CST 2002

I have a site with a framed an unframed version to which I'm adding
Google search. In the framed version, the target of the search form
is a frame named "content" -  and when you click on a search result,
you end up getting the non-framed version of the site inside the
"content" frame. so what I'd like to do is set a cookie in the
frameset document frames=true and in the non-framed version have
something like:

<cfif cookie.frames>
   <cflocation="content.cfm">
</cfif>

(the site is set up so that content.cfm is the equivalent of
index.cfm except it's the framed version of the content).

The thing I'm wondering is if search engines keep track of cookies
set by a site ... and if so, will the non-framed pages be removed
from the results being that the page is relocating to another
location? (I once read on a search engine site that they don't index
documents which relocate the window)

Would this be different if I relocated the window with JavaScript
rather that cflocation?

Thoughts, knowledge requested on this ... thanks.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/