[thelist] OT? IP masquerading with dynamic IP help?

dan donaldson dan at omnivore.ca
Sun Mar 3 14:14:00 CST 2002

Hello folks

I haven't had luck finding a clear tutorial or help file on using IP
masquerading with dynamically assigned IPs. I want to share a DSL line
with three computers. I have an intel box running Linux RH 6.2 which I
previously did this with with a static IP, but I've switched to a
consumer DSL line with a dynamically assigned IP and I can't see how
that's going to work with the current setup.

I've looked over David Ranch's tutorial (which I used originally to
setup the IP masquerading with static IP) but he doesn't say much of
anything about dynamic IPs, except a link to trinityOS stuff that I
can't seem to understand or even be sure I've found the right thing.
(BTW, I'm not a complete Linux newbie, I've run RH 6.2 for a year or
more, but I've learned what I've had to do, not a general introduction
that might stand me in better stead.)

Can anyone help? From what I can tell I would have to rewrite/rerun the
firewall script each time I get a new IP on the gateway - surely there
is a better way to do this?

The setup is PII 333/256Mb, two interface cards.

any ideas?

dan