[thelist] Netscape 6.1, radiobuttons, and DTD

ward_conant at urscorp.com ward_conant at urscorp.com
Mon Mar 4 08:56:01 CST 2002

How about checkboxes for those instances when it's
valid to leave all options unchecked?

Or simply include (as another posted mentioned) a
"none of the above" radio select?

In general, I would suggest using radio buttons only
when there *must* be a selection made from the
available choices, or when there is no chance (or
reason) that a user may want to *not select any* of
the options.

Of course, there may be exceptions, but I'd argue that
they're few and far between ...

Ward

> How about simply not using radio buttons except in
> cases where there *must* be a selection? IOW, if
> leaving no option selected is a valid option, *don't
> use radio buttons* ...

Valid observation... to an extent! The question arises though, what is the
best tool for the job. When you say *don't use radio buttons*, I assume
you
are suggesting using an alternate form control.

Did you have something else in mind?