FW: [thelist] Site check - my first request!

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Mon Mar 4 16:52:00 CST 2002

Sorry everyone, I meant to send that straight to Lisa.

Okay, I've got to come up with a tip...

<tip type="international audiences and file sizes" author="Tara Cleveland">

Just because you think your site is fast enough on a 28.8 modem, doesn't
mean that everyone sees it that fast. If you have a large international
audience you might want to make it the file sizes even smaller.

Some of you may be surprised to find out that entire internet cafes in
Thailand share *one* 56K modem!!! It is SLOW. Your site may not even show up
at all. That's not even taking into consideration the noisy phone lines. And
as soon as the kiddies come in to the internet cafe to play quake online
(yeah - they try) everything gets "as slow as molasses in January" (as my
Dad would say). Just because you've met an arbitrary target on file size
doesn't mean you should stop trying to make file sizes smaller (if you can
and keeping quality in mind too).

Make those file sizes as small as possible!

</tip>

> From: Tara Cleveland <tara at taracleveland.com>
> Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 05:26:45 -0400
> To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Subject: Re: [thelist] Site check - my first request!
>
> Lisa,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to go over my site. I'm glad you liked the colour
> combo.

<snip