[thelist] Flash MX article

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Mar 4 18:38:01 CST 2002

Erik Mattheis wrote:
>> Flash also captures keyboard events, so I can't close my
>> window with ctrl-w when the page is displaying a flash element.  That
>> annoys me.
>

> Where's a movie that prevents you from closing your window with
> ctrl-w? Would like to see.

That hotel reservation page.  Note:  I'm using tabbed browsing under
mozilla 0.9.8 (win2k).  This may have something to do with it.  But I
can close a window with ctrl-w on every page I've seen that does not
have flash.  And I frequently can't do it when a page does have flash.
My presumption is that flash catches the keystrokes.  It could be a
weird interaction between mozilla and flash though.

If I hit ctrl-w before I interact with the flash movie then I can close
the window.  After clicking something within the flash movie, I'm no
longer able to use ctrl-w to close the page.

Judah