[thelist] developer ethics?

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Tue Mar 5 15:21:40 CST 2002

I apologize that I am coming into this WAY too late - very busy.

It's important to point out that THIS SUBJECT COMES UP OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

WHEN are we all going to realize that we have a problem here? When so many
of the same questions are asked over and over again about how we should all
be doing our jobs, it's probably a good sign that there are, effectively, NO
STANDARDS. We have Specs, not standards. There's a big difference.

"Specifications-in-a-Vacuum" are not standards. Thew W3C can write all the
specs they want, and prob web devers can follow them all they want, but it
won't ever amount to anything until corporations realize they have something
to gain by meeting those specs. ALL parties must come together to form
AGREED UPON standards that point to the specifications. Show of hands: How
many of you have seen the ISO standard that references the W3C HTML Spec?
OK, now how many of your clients have seen it or care about it? Are they ISO
registered? So if they are, how come they don't know about XHTML or even
HTML 4.01 Trans. compliance?

BH