[thelist] Need a little help with JS scripting (whois)

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Wed Mar 6 04:43:01 CST 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Michael Galvin wrote:

> I'd like to add an icon to my IE toolbar that when clicked, would request a
> domain address and give me the whois record
>
> I know I need to run the whois cgi script located at whois.net (or similiar)
> but I have no idea how to request a domain string and then run the script on
> that all in 1 JS command.  Any help?

Hm.  This has to go into one line preceded by 'javascript:' and here's how
I would do it:

x=window.prompt("Domain name to check","");
if(x != ""){WhoisURL=(http://www.betterwhois.com/bwhois.cgi?"+x);
window.top.location=WhoisURL;}

This uses betterwhois.com instead of NetSol, for a long list of reasons.

The hard part is getting it into your Links menu; the best approach I've
found is to create a Links bookmark for about:blank and edit the name and
URL after you've created it.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."