[thelist] developer ethics?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Mar 7 10:38:00 CST 2002

Joel Canfield wrote:

> As I see it, there are three possible stands on certification (if there are
> others, please let me know)
> 1. Certifications are meaningless and should be ignored.
> 2. Certifications show SOME level of knowledge, but should be verified by
> real-world experience or some other quantifiable element
> 3. Certification is all that matters; cert = skill

Here's my variant on #1:

I don't care about your certification /unless/ I'm convinced that
it's a trustworthy indicator of ability, either because

(1) I've got the same certification, or
(2) I know one or more people holding that certification whose
      abilities I respect

And in past roles as a manager, I didn't have either (1) or (2), so
certifications didn't figure into the hiring process at all ...

--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --