[thelist] WinXP/JavaScript prob

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Mar 7 13:21:01 CST 2002

Steve,

> Oh pants! I thought practically every browser has JavaScript these days.

    They do, the vast majority of them, although some users disable
scripting. A general rule of thumb for sites on the Internet: don't use
scripting for core functionality, but only for non-critical enhancements.
Obviously, there will be exceptions to this rule, but developers who
implement those exceptions should do so only in an informed, intentional
manner and should be aware of the ramifications. And as jeff pointed out,
Java and JavaScript are two distinctly different animals -- and, from what I
saw, you don't appear to use any Java on your site.

> Do you think I should not use JavaScript and recode all the rollovers,
form
> validation, etc. in PHP (what I used for the rest of the site) then?

    You _can't_ do rollovers on the server, along with most other
client-side interactivity. You can and _should_ do form validation on the
server, although it is also good to do form validation on the client to
prevent unnecessary round trips to the server.

James Aylard