[thelist] Is Java dead ? (was Evolt Hiermenus?)

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Fri Mar 8 04:29:00 CST 2002

> Not that I'm in bed with Java or anything (I can't even write a decent
> applet myself !), but why the vehement attitude towards applets?
> Sure, it's a bit slow and clunky, but (apart from lack of Microsoft
> support), what is so offensive.

1. It's not a bit slow on Mac, it's deathly slow. Any applet takes up to 3-4
seconds to render, even when it's loading from the local machine.

2. If Java is disabled / not installed on the client's machine, there is no
quick way to show an alternative menu.

3. I've never seen an applet menu system that can't be reproduced in DHTML,
which loads quicker and is easier to update.

4. You can't float an applet over the top of other content on the screen, as
you can with DHTML.

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/evl/>