[thelist] Valid code for Flash & Evolt Heirmenus

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Fri Mar 8 16:30:01 CST 2002

At 8:53 PM 3/7/2, boltonmedia.server wrote:
> if there is any way to include a flash animation in a page and
> still get validation from the W3C Validator

No, the stricter W3C validation routines only like the way Microsoft's PC
browser handles extensions. (Those validators don't like the EMBED tag that
other browsers use.)

You can have the browsers validate it, or the W3C validate it, but not both
yet, sorry.

> On the same page is a DHTML Heirmenu, it works in most browsers
> except NS4 because for it to work in NS4 the coding requires
> depreciated tag usage, this is a simple script and has so many
> uses, could be the basis for an evolt heirmenu system?

Those functions like "MM_findObj" are indeed pretty compact, but I think
you may be able to get a faster and more predictable site overall by using
the menu clips built into the Macromedia Flash authoring tool.

(No disrespect to Java, which remains a great server-side language. For
efficient interactivity in the browsers the edge is with SWF files these
days.)

jd