[thelist] starting script when email is received

Daniel Farkas bup at neobee.net
Fri Mar 8 18:28:00 CST 2002

Hi all.

After few months I'm again subscribed.
So, don't be angry if this question already was on the list.

This is the thing.
In moment of stupidity I promissed  to my friend that he'll get his own,
fully customizable mailing group.
When somebody posts mail to servers's address that mail should be posted to
all subscribers instantly.
How can I invoke my php script on email arrival?
Is it possible at all?

I need a general solution, not one like "if you are on unix machine and mail
server is on...".

I have read article on evolt site about cron, address is
http://evolt.org/article/Cron_a_regular_workhorse/18/125/index.html.
Only trouble is that we don't have telnet access on Evolt.
Yes, I know about www.cronservice.com.
It is not for free and this should be absolutely free.
And cron is avoiding my main concern - executing script on email arrival.

Is there any hope?

How, for that matter, this list works?