[thelist] Colouring, layout and design help

Liorean Liorean at user.bip.net
Sun Mar 10 16:06:00 CST 2002

Hello, fellow evolters!

I'm getting the front page, general layout and design for my personal site
almost finished. Before I choose to lock the design and start putting
content up, I'd like some comments on it, so that I can fix whatever needs
mending and change what isn't good. Could you please help me with that?

What I would be ever grateful to get help with:
- Colour combination. Try the different themes out and have a look at them.
Expand and contract the menu, scroll a bit. What needs changing (preferably
with an explanation of why it's no good, so that I don't make the same
mistake again)?

- What layout fixes do I need? Things looking out of place, hard to find
and such. (What can I do about that link field, for instance? In IE it
jumps down under the content at 592 pixels width, in Moz at 758 pixels width.)

- Screenshot and functionality tests on other platforms. What does each
theme look like in IE5 on the Mac and Konqueror on linux? Does the theme
switcher work? Does contracting/expanding the link field work? Are there
any JavaScript errors?

<tip author="Liorean" type="Human Performance">
When you find yourself doing something over and over again, try automating
it using a scripting component such as Perl, JScript (using Windows
Scripting Engine), Ruby, or any other.

I've begun building and categorising my content and JavaScripts and
generating my stylesheets from Ruby scripts using a few templates, and I've
never worked faster when it comes to completing a homepage.
</tip>

// Liorean