[thelist] setting up "localhost"

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Sun Mar 10 20:21:01 CST 2002

At 05:19 PM 3/10/02 -0800, you wrote:
>ben,
>
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > From: Ben Heuer
> >
> > I am using my personal PC. With my dialup, whenever I
> > logged in, I would get a dynamically allocated IP
> > Address, but I could give that to my friends and they
> > could see my Apache. With Broadband, how should I do
> > that?
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
>wait for confirmation from the more technically knowledged network gurus,
>but i've got a guess about what's going on here.
>
>it sounds to me, based on the ip address you say you're getting, that your
>isp has their customers behind their own gateway (is that the right term?).
>if that's the case then there's probably no way to direct traffic to your
>computer from the outside world as they've had to set up a pass-through for
>port 80 to your dynamically allocated ip address.  i highly doubt they'd do
>that for you though since part of the reason they've got it setup the way
>they do is to keep people from setting up servers.
>
>sorry i can't be of more help.

Don't know how relevent this is, but ...

Generally, with dialin accounts, the IP address for your computer is
dynamic, but your computers fully-qualified name is the same. Here is (what
I think) I mean.
Say your logon name is jimjoe and your isp is myfavisp.com. When you logon,
your computer becomes
jimjoe.myfavisp.com. Depending on your firewall/gateway, you might or might
not be able to get to your computer using that name. For example,
http://jimjoe.myfavisp.com may not resolve to your computer.
Something to try. In addition, you can try and ping your computer using the
above name, ie
ping jimjoe.myfavisp.com
On dailup accounts, this resolves to your dynamic-ally allocated IP address.
Of course, DSN resolve solutions are a better way of dealing with this.
If you are on windows, you can run winipcfg (from Start-->Run) and it will
tell you your IP configuration (duh).

hth,
Burhan
[ snippity snip snip ]