[thelist] IIS won't start

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Mon Mar 11 23:15:00 CST 2002

At 06:59 PM 3/11/2002, Peter Kaulback wrote:
>Thanks Anthony for the info.  I uninstalled and reinstalled IIS with no
>affect, w3csvc is still the only service in "starting" position.

Check the permissions on the default web site target directory (heck all of
the home directories for all the virtual sites, if you had more than one).
You might want to force them to "Everyone - Full Control" just to see if
IIS will boot.

See if you can change the default behaviour of the "World Wide Web
Publishing" Service via Services and set that to "manual". Then open IIS
Admin and "Turn off/Stop" all the virtual web sites (even Admin). Then see
if WWW starts via services with no virtual web sites running.

Check your start up programs (start up folders and via the register) and
remove all un-necessary applications (e.g. Viri Checkers).

Lastly try renaming/moving the Metabase files that IIS uses.

         C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\MetaBase.bin
---
Anthony Baratta
President