[thelist] Programming language/database suggestions?

Jason Lotito jason at clockmedia.com
Wed Mar 13 09:33:01 CST 2002

> > Most others have suggested PHP, and while I like PHP, I think ColdFusion
> > is better, and easier to learn. Yes, I'm biased, I work for the company
> > that sells CF, but, I was using CF for a _long_ time before I came here.
>
> Can you (or anybody else) suggest some worthwhile tutorial sites?
>
> I've already found quote of the day on the webmonkey tutorial:
>
> Webmaster Rule Number One
> When a potential employer/client asks you if you've ever worked with XYZ
> software running on platform ABC, say "yes" quickly and with great
> assurance. Then run home, fire up the Net, and figure out what the hell
they
> were talking about.
>
> (Taken from http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/03/index1a.html)

Yes, I like that quote as well.

For PHP, here are some good sites to get going on:

www.newbienetwork.net // Tis my site =)
www.phpdeveloper.org
www.phpbuilder.com
www.zend.com
www.php.net/manual // Hands down the best online manual for a programming
language out there
www.devshed.com
www.sitebuilder.com
www.devarticles.com // New player to the dev articles field
www.evolt.org // Has some good tutorials as well.
http://www.evolt.org/search/index.html?keywords=php // For your clicking
pleasure =)

And for google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=php+newbie+tutorials

And yes, tis my site as number 1 =) (I am so proud of that =)) )

PHP evangelist? Yes.  I use it every day at work, and every day before I
started here.

All these have good tutorials.  Here is a good solid starting point:
http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/228

Hope this helps you out some.

Jason Lotito
www.newbienetwork.net