[thelist] JavaScript Browser Detect not working

Aaron Cole awcole72 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 13 12:10:00 CST 2002

Could someone look at the following JS code and tell me if you see why it
doesn't seem to work?

<--Begin Code Snippet -->

if ((navigator.appName == "Netscape") &&
(navigator.appVersion.substring(0,2) == "4.")) {
	if ( GetCookie("Notice") != "done" ) {
		OpenWin = this.open("../include/browser_notice.jsp", "notice",

<-- End Code Snippet -->

It is supposed to be a simple browser-detect that opens a pop-up window when
the user's browser is Netscape 4x.  This was written by contract engineers
that my company uses.  We're meeting today and I'd like to have a little
knowledge going into it.

I'm usually OK with tweaking other people's JS code, but this is above my

Any help would be greatly appreciated.