[thelist] ASP connection problems

Howard Cheng howcheng at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 13 15:53:01 CST 2002

Can you connect to the database at all? Have you tried using DBA Studio or
anything?

I had a similar problem a little while back and it turns out that I was
sitting on two different networks (i.e., I had two IP addresses on
different gateways) and somehow that was preventing me from resolving the
database host name. We never figured out why, and I ended up not working on
that project anyway.

At 02:26 PM 3/13/2002 -0600, Luther, Ron wrote:
>Something is 'wronky' with my machines.  I can't seem to get my local
>ASP scripts to 'connect' to an Oracle database sitting on another
>server.
>
>I've tried dns-less connections.
>
>I've also set up a dsn (and checked it using Oracle's handy "Oracle ODBC
>32-bit Test" utility - where it works just fine).  That didn't work
>either.
>
>I checked my TNSNAMES file and things seem to be in order there.
>
>I emailed the ASP page to another developer and it works just fine on
>his machine.
>
>Now ... my machine was hit with code red or nimda or something a few
>months ago and the tech folks had to come in and work some magic on the
>machines.  (I mention this in case it might be relevant.)
>
>Any idea what else I can check?
>
>[I'm getting the "ORA-12545 Connect failed because target host or object
>does not exist" error.]

Howard Cheng
howcheng at ix.netcom.com
AIM: bennyphoebe