[thelist] Dots (.) in image file names

Syed Zeeshan Haider zeeshan_paki at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 13:39:01 CST 2002

Hello Experts,
Perhaps many of you have visited the official web site of CNN.
Visit it for me again at http://www.cnn.com/. Right click on any image
on CNN web site and save this image in your machine. Now view the image
icon in your computer. It will be a default Windows icon (if you are
running windows). You will notice that the image doesn't have the
extension, which it must be having (like JPG or GIF). For instance the
image file will have a file name like image.man.cnn where (.cnn) is a
file extension. I guess there is no such file format in real life.
Therefore, a visitor cannot open image saved from http://www.cnn.com/.
I think the developers of http://www.cnn.com/ have named their image
files with two or three dots to prevent their use by the visitor. With
many dots in image file name, they confuse the client machine and it
ignores the original file format of the image; considers the letters,
after the last dot in file name, as file format.
Two questions:
Did it happen same on your Windows computer as I stated about image file
from http://www.cnn.com/?
If yes, is it really a way to prevent the illegal use of images? Can I
rename images on my site with two or three dots (like image.any.jug) for
the same purpose?
Thank you,
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/