[thelist] <h1> tag in search engines?

Olly gnarly at punkass.com
Fri Mar 15 05:51:01 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Galvin" <mgalvin at sourcevisualthinking.ie>
Subject: [thelist] <h1> tag in search engines?

> I've ignored most of it :) (Not really, the client is always right, but
I've
> managed to come up with compelling reasons for not doing most of it) but
now
> he's thrown one at me that has dumbstruck me.  He wants me to make the
<h1>
> style in the CSS look the same as body text, and surround every mention of
> their company name on the site with the <h1> tags.  He claims it makes it
> easier for search engines to find.  This is so out there, it might
actually
> be true!  But it's not, right?  Right?  Hello?

I seem to remember a post here a while back (was it from Rudy?) saying some
search engines can look through a page until they find a heading tag and
take that as the main content, so that navigation and things dont get in the
way of the content. Or something. IIRC. YMMV. A search though the archive
might prove helpful.

Note that NS4 gets CSS applied to <Hx> tags slightly wrong in that it leaves
the big whitespace underneath it IME - so doing the "make the <h1> style in
the CSS look the same as body text, and surround every mention of their
company name on the site with the <h1> tags" thing would look terrible in
that browser.

HTH,

Olly.