[thelist] Use of <abbr title>

J Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Fri Mar 15 11:27:01 CST 2002

> >Speech-readers will probably read the title attribute, so would you code
> >
> ><acronym title="Portable Network Graphic">PNG</acronym>
> >
> >or
> >
> ><acronym title="ping">PNG</acronym> ?
> --
>
> The <acronym title="Graphics Interchange Format">GIF</acronym> format
> allows only 256 colours, while <acronym title="Joint Photographic Experts
> Group">JPEG files</acronym> can have up to 16.7 million.

My understanding was that the title would replace, not supplant, the
acronym, so they'd hear something more like,

"The Graphics Interchange Format format allows  . . . . "

which is why the original should be "The GIF allows only. . ." in the
first place :)

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski      jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
   135 w lorain ocmr 2678 // oberlin oh 44074-1081
   home : 900 barton dr // ann arbor mi 48105-1232

   "What we have to learn to do we learn by doing"
    -- Aristotle, Ethica Nicomachea II (c 325 BC)