[thelist] MySQL Tables for weblog

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Sat Mar 16 12:05:01 CST 2002

> as for why an auto_increment field is a poor choice --
> if you have ever (re)loaded, altered, copied, or otherwise manipulated a
> database table containing an auto_increment column, you will have learned
> not to rely on the permanence of autonumbers -- letting autonumber columns
> get renumbered is an option you want to leave open
>
> helps?

Thanks Rudy, yes, but now my relaxing Saturday afternoon will be spent
trying to figure out how to undo what I've done on a couple of sites, since
I did not have the presence of mind to consider this before!

What would happen if you were to move a table from one db to another, for
example, and you dropped the data into the new table with the previously
auto-numbered column set to say a basic int column, then change it afterward
to an auto-increment again? Would that be an okay way to deal with a system
that you might not be able to change over (insert nervous grin here)?

BH