[thelist] real men code by hand...

Mike Migurski mike at saturn5.com
Sat Mar 16 20:04:01 CST 2002

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, David Kutcher wrote:

>Once was doing a web-based project for a large financial firm and my
>manager decided to check out all of my files from source control and
>open them in an old version of Adobe GoLive.  It mangled the code.  I
>wanted to mangle her. Took approx. 40 hrs to fix all of the crap it
>changed by just opening the file (I have no idea why she then saved...)

Wow.

Why wouldn't your source control not allow you to check out a pre-mangled
version to get them back? We use CVS at our shop, and the control it gives
is *unreal*. I can't count how many times I've saved myself from major
screwups thanks to CVS. So you can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was
to find that it comes preinstalled on Mac OS X. :)

Karl Fogel's book is a great introduction, and it's free:
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

...it focuses mainly on the command-line interface, though there are a
number of free/shareware client applications available for the mac and PC.
Mac CVS, Win CVS, and CVL come to mind.

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Richard Bennett wrote:

>If you want to make a professional impression, you have to use the right
>tools for the job. Customers should be able to see that you can afford
>top-notch software like Dreamweaver or Flash, and that you have achieved
>the correct certification, which proves you are a real web-developer.
>Using these tools is also proof for your customers that their website is
>coded to the highest standards, and hasn't been messed around with by
>people who can't afford real web-development-software, and think that
>they know everything better. Your best bet is to stick with well-known
>companies, then you can put their logos on your website, which always
>makes a good impression.

This is toungue-in-cheek, right? :-\

-mike.

                   michal migurski     mike(at)saturn5.com
       http://www.saturn5.com/mike     AIM:migurski
              --> relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken <--