[thelist] real men code by hand...

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Sat Mar 16 21:47:01 CST 2002

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Pixel Grafx wrote:

> Thanks for the reminder that I haven't watched my favorite movie in a few
> months.

Anytime.

> I'm off to the video store - I just called and put a copy on hold.
>
> "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life"
> >
> > "Life of Brian" is also quite good for the cinematic portion of this
> > course of treatment.

The Judean People's Front is as good a senior-management caricature as
I've ever seen!

<tip type="Things to do when you're unable to suffer fools gladly"
author="Ben Henick">

Release your inner child and your titanic anger at the same time by
composing your letter of resignation on an Etch-A-Sketch.

Find out a charity or sports league the object of your frustration
participates in, join it, and show the twit up.  (Or - perhaps - learn to
forgive them.)

Two words:  Apocalyptic haiku.

Take up a muscial instrument.  It is easier to put Mahler and Stravinsky
to shame in the "passionate cacaphony" dept. when first learning how to
play, than it is when you acquire genuine skill.  (Shirley and others on
the list can vouch for this.)

Project all of your frustrations onto a public figure who happens by
coincidence to also be a twit.  Anonymously publish a Weblog which subtly
mixes these threads.

If you know how to draw, a brief series of cartoons parodying the travails
you face a la "Dilbert" or "Helen, Sweetheart of the Internet" might be
the way to go.

If you have children, spend time with them.

Chop wood, or spade over your backyard for a new garden.  (Which is how my
grandfather managed to survive with panache a career as a school
administrator.)

Listen to "Weird Al" at full volume for an hour.

Find a project for them that will allow their cluelessness full rein,
without causing damage to the bottom line.  Intranets are ideal for this;
hat way, other people will voice your complaints without being asked.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."