[thelist] real men code by hand...

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Sun Mar 17 14:18:01 CST 2002

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Dan Romanchik wrote:

> I applaud all of you macho (or macha, as the case may be) enough to produce
> all your code by hand, and I don't recommend that designers simply use the
> wysiwyg editors without an understand of HTML, but I think most people are
> going to be more productive using something like Dreamwever.

That depends.

Up to a point, I will gladly compare my invoices to those of a Dreamweaver
user.

Dreamweaver is at its best when the deadline is an overarching object, and
the person you're working for doesn't know how to keep changes under
control.

In the hands of someone who does design and production to a high standard,
Dreamweaver's nearly useless beyond its site management features.

By "high standard" I mean resource conservation:  visually clean layouts
that save the visitor time by making things easy to find, and save the
visitor more time by downloading and rendering as quickly as it takes to
frame the thought - even at 56K.

The only times I've seen the latter pulled off by Dreamweaver, are when
it's being used by someone who'd be no less effective using a non-WYSIWYG
tool.

Just because Dreamweaver design and manual maintenance cause an impedance
mismatch of sorts, doesn't make either method poor (or good) on its strict
merits... in other words, if you're going to build it with Dreamweaver,
you DEFINITELY want to consider maintaining it with Dreamweaver.

Even if that course of action results in a comparatively mediocre result.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."