[thelist] real men code by hand...

Eike Pierstorff eike.p at t-online.de
Sun Mar 17 16:08:01 CST 2002

> I'm probably going to get killed for asking, but as someone
> who has coded in
> html (but I'm not an expert and have nowhere near the
> expertise of many list
> posters), I would appreciated it if someone could let me know
> what they mean
> when they say "code bloat" and could you post an example of
> how Dreamweaver
> "bloats" code and how it should be done using notepad?

Dreamweaver sometimes 'forgets' to remove code that is no longer needed
when you change the site, you have to remove it with a text editor. But
maybe that's just me, I never learned to use DW properly.

I prefer text editors (notepad, ultraedit, everything without tag
completion and the like) because they enforce self-discipline while
coding and I guess that's the point with this debate. Many DW users lack
discipline (I used to be one of them) and yes, I blame the tool because
it invites you to develop sloppy habits.

But I guess you can do well-coded sites with DW, especially since it
shipped with a text editor (I don't know if this is still true but it
used to be).

-- eike