[thelist] Dreamweaver b*tchfest

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Mar 18 16:18:00 CST 2002

[Bob had the info, but I had already typed this up.... ;-) ]

At 5:32 AM 3/16/2, Nicole Parrot wrote:
>1. everything's been done with absolute positioning, using div tags. That
>means the order in which things appear in the page no longer matters, giving
>me a hard time in identifying what is what.

Try selecting the item in layout... you'll see it selected in markup.
Vice-versa too.

>2. Code bloat, there's a lot of code that is not necessary in there.

Sorry, I don't know what you're looking at.

>3. I have to edit the files to put the images in another directory, and I'm
>stuck having to manually edit all those paths, and there are tons.
>Identifying each image is a pain too.

Try moving the files in DW's site window. Assuming you've allowed it to
build a local cache for that site, then moving a file will update the
links.

(If the links are already broken, then you're likely looking at using the
sitewide RegExp for search/replace.)

>4. Why does the Dreamweaver/Fireworks combination sometimes use absolute
>positioning and sometimes tables for positioning ? I've got a layer that is
>absolutely positioned, but inside the layer is a table to position the
>content. HUH.? What a weird mix and match.

Fireworks can use either tables or CSS for positioning, your choice. You
can definitely put a table into a DIV later.

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco CA US