[thelist] percents or pixels?

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Tue Mar 19 11:42:01 CST 2002

>> Seriously though, pixels are the way to go. Zeldman explains it well in
>> this article on guerilla design:
>> http://www.alistapart.com/stories/fear4/

I respect Zeldman, his vast experience and his knowledge about all things
web ‹ but don't take a two year old article as gospel. This was written
before the current range of browsers came out and before the use of
non-standard devices began to flourish.

I'd also note the option in the second paragraph;

"2. Use nothing. Do not specify font sizes at all, and let the browser's
stylistic defaults and the visitor's preferences take care of the relative
size relationships."

> Pixels are evil. The only reason to use them is if you still insist on
> designing a fixed page for a flexible medium and don't give a damn what
> your users want.

And as I said, newer browsers will give users the chance to over-ride your
hard-coded pixel based font sizing anyway, so you're fighting a losing
battle against accessibility by trying to shoe-horn your design into a solid
box.

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/evl/>