[thelist] double-you double-you double-you

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 20 06:08:00 CST 2002

> From: Michael Galvin <mgalvin at sourcevisualthinking.ie>
>
> I was always under the impression that the 'www.' prefix wasn't
> required when loading web addresses (certainly in IE PC), that I could
> just type evolt.org into the address bar and off it went.  But now
> I've come across a client site that NEEDS the 'www.' before it can be
> found.  I assume that this is caused by a scrappy setup by the host
> SP, and it's probably the same for every site being hosted by them.
> What's involved in this, just in case I can convince the SP to do it
> for us?

the ISP makes a quick fix, as the other posts have said...

i consider it flawed hosting if the URL of a site *without* a 'www' doesn't take
you somewhere... granted, many sites, like evolt.org, have sub sites like
lists.evolt.org, but that doesn't mean a non-prefixed URL should just die...

and yes, i've been on the 'net long enough to know about mail., ftp., and even
when the web started there was www. and web., but those still aren't excuses
for *not* allowing something like adobe.com to work...

how much do you trust adobe.com as a web company when they can't even
get it right... try it:
http://adobe.com/

i've emailed them more than once on this, and frankly, i'm annoyed that i have
to type 'www' before i go to their site, and as a result, i don't even go there
because it's three keystrokes less to go other places all too often (i'm not
used to typing 'www' anymore)...