[thelist] percents or pixels?

Paul J White pjw at bw3.co.uk
Wed Mar 20 07:10:00 CST 2002

>And recently the W3C followed suit. Which is why IE5 and Netscape/Moz offer
>a toggle between 72dpi and 96 dpi. Default in both cases is currently
>96dpi.
Two questions: Is not the resolution set by your monitor, not the browser,
anyway? Text set to point, pixel, whatever size, is smaller at a resolution
of 1024x768 than at 800x600 and larger on a 19" monitor than a 15" set at
the same resolution.
Is it not the case (playing devil's advocate briefly) that such hardware
considerations actually outweigh the differences between browser performance
and settings, and the best we can hope for is a compromise that *most*
people can make some sense of our designs?
And how do you toggle between these values in IE5 and Netscape/Moz, it is a
feature I haven't come across?

Paul