[thelist] Excel with Access Database

Jones Jeff J Jeff.J.Jones at irs.gov
Wed Mar 20 09:32:22 CST 2002

Josh,

	The more I thought about this the less I think you can do it unless
the person viewing the spreadsheet has a DSN pointing to the database set up
on their computer.  Pivot tables that use an external datasource usually use
a DSN.  Excel will let you set it up when you build the query.  Problem is,
if you send the spreadsheet to someone else (via e-mail or in this case via
the Web), the DSN no longer exists.

	Having said that, I'm pretty sure that the viewer will see the
tables and graphs in the state in which they were saved.  Acceptable only if
you update the intranet copy on a regular basis.  If you're going to do that
though, why bother with a linked spreadsheet anyway?

                Jeff