[thelist] percents or pixels?

Pixel Grafx pixel-grafx at attbi.com
Wed Mar 20 10:49:15 CST 2002

Paul J White

>> Go to the "Internet Explorer Preference" panel: Web Browser: Language/Fonts
>> and it's the first setting after 'Language' you can change on that
>> particular panel.
>
> It's not there in IE6 and in NN6 it makes absolutely no difference to the
> display, even setting it at something ridiculous like 730dpi - what is the
> point?

The discussion was about Macintosh computers. There is no MSIE 6 for the Mac
yet. And just to make sure I opened NN6 (Mac) and changed the settings for
the BROWSER display from 96dpi to 72dpi and sure enough - the 'size' of the
displayed text dropped 25% - as I would have expected.

Changing that setting on my system which has a 'monitor DISPLAY' (not
browser/application RESOLUTION display) at 1280 x1024 and when I toggle
between the BROWSER RESOLUTION of 72dpi and 96dpi I get, as I would expect,
a 33% increase in the 'size' of the displayed text.

Microsoft decided that their OS would assign 96dpi to a 1" unit of
measurement. Mac went with 72dpi - but none of this has anything to do with
how many pixels the user wants to see when they set their monitor display.
So in this sense the 'WYS' is not necessarily 'WYG' - ask any veteran
Photoshop user about the difference between 'print size' and 'display size'