[thelist] re: percents or pixels

katherine kbjork at attbi.com
Wed Mar 20 10:55:01 CST 2002

oops almost forgot...regarding the pixle issue, also depends upon the
monitor resolution..ie if one machine is set up at 800x600 and then you
run over to the other which is set up at a different resolution its
tempting at first glance to assume the pixels do not render the same
from platform to platform.

This can also occur on a mac though between NN and IE as one of the
browers defaults to 96 dpi and the other defaults to 72.

for best results make sure all browsers on a given platform are set the
same, and that the screen resolution between platforms is the same.

Bear in mind, when you show to client, that he or she, if not viewing on
your monitor may see a different result, and the trick is to know what
they have and how to change their setting, and to quickly explain that
you (hopefully) are designing the pages for the highest common
denominator and can not control what everyone will be viewing with.

You really can't win this one. I;ve had people who complain things are
TOO big and others who say the same thing is too small...and in both
case, neither knew they (corporate environment) could change the
monitors setup. In both cases they'd been living with views they didn't
really like. Just coincidence that when I showed them how to change they
not only were satisfied with the end size of the design, but with their
new settings as well. I

t is amazing how much people, in a non-tech work setting, don't know
about their own equipment. But that is another pet peeve and I realize
its just my mind set...you know if I have something I have to check it
out from one end to the other. Especially if its computer related! :-)