[thelist] #top and Netscape 6

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Thu Mar 21 02:02:00 CST 2002

diego,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Diego Lafuente
>
> > <a name="top"></a>
>
> For xhtml and standards support I recommend use
>
> <a id="top">
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

first, can you make sure to trim your replies so that only the relevant bits remain?  the digesters will love you for it and our bandwidth use will be less.

i can appreciate your strive for moving towards standards, but there is surely something you're missing here.  by not using the name attribute, you're effectively breaking the functionality, needlessly, for any number of your users that don't have browsers that treat the id as proposed in the xhtml spec.

this issue of compatibility is one that's addressed by the w3:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#guidelines

if you choose to use the name attribute you'll be fine as the name attribute is deprecated, but still in the spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.10

try validating any document to xhtml 1.0 transitional or strict and you'll see that it doesn't throw an error on the name attribute.

in other words, name is well within the standards for xhtml 1.0 at this time, should be included for backwards compatibility, along with an id attribute with a matching value applied to the same <a> tag.

<a name="top" id="top">

good luck,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/