[thelist] Squashing PDFs. 3700 files, 40% smaller?

Andrew Gianni andrew at newkenmore.com
Thu Mar 21 18:22:01 CST 2002

A few thoughts:

- If there's a sensible way to do it, you could combine a number of the
documents into one to save on the fonts being embedded into a number of
different files. Font embeding takes up a bunch of space. You could then set
up bookmarks to each of the documents in each uber-document to allow quick
access to any document through the bookmark navigator.

- compressing already compressed images can be messy, especially if they
contain a lot of straight edges or text. I believe PDFs use lossy
compression (like jpegs) which can get especially messy, but would be worth
looking at

- as far as I can tell there isn't really any difference in size between the
files created by Acrobat 3, 4 or 5. If anything, 5 generates bigger stuff by
default because it includes lotsa XML gunk, which is useful if you need it,
but if you don't it can triple the size of your document easily.

- how about just putting it on two CDs?

Andrew