[thelist] [CMS] Applet-based WYSIWYG HTML editor

s t e f stef at nota-bene.org
Sun Mar 24 06:26:01 CST 2002

[[ Howard Cheng -- 11:16 22/03/02 -0800 ]]
>Does anyone know of a Java applet that will allow WYSIWYG HTML editing? I
>need one that is able to edit both in WYSIWYG mode and in source mode. I've
>found a number of DHTML-based editors but they're limited to IE only and we
>need a N4+ capable editor, which is why I'm thinking Java. The other
>limitation is that I need a free/GPL one. (:
>
>I've been searching on Google and haven't found anything yet, although I
>have a lot more pages to wade through. Thanks in advance.

I know you're looking for a free solution, but FWIW InStranet
<www.instranet.com> comes packaged with an amazing WYSIWYG applet. You can
even copy/paste from MS Word complex pages (like text+table+image) and it's
converted and displayed in no time. The contributor just needs to click on
"save" and the image is uploaded onto the server and the code is
translated. I didn't get a chance to see the resulting HTML (I was having a
demo but InStranet people) but the functionality left me speechless.

And believe me, it's not easy to achieve :-)

s t e f

q u o t e o f t h e d a y :

A computer, to print out a fact,
Will divide, multiply, and subtract.