[thelist] targeting effectively

nagrom morgan at morgankelsey.com
Mon Mar 25 10:50:02 CST 2002

matt,

> What most of the people in this thread seem to be missing is what the
point
> behind doing work for a client is. The point is simply to deliver what the
> client wants. Sure you can suggest that they might actually want something
> else, but if the client wants something and it only is going to work in
some [....]

giving clients what they want is #1 on my list, but i woudln't leave out the
importance of giving a client what they *need* along with it.
clients hire you because of what you know, and will appreciate if you save
them from themselves (in the long run). i have a 60-year-old lady for a
client who is constantly saying, 'can we do this with javascript or
something?' just because she said javascript doesn't mean i'm doing my job
if i only consider that solution. i usually reply with a 'sure, or some
other way that may be better'. i think it's my responsibility to know the
available solutions, not the client's.

if i go to my shrink and say ' i want to kill my wife' should he assist me
in the murder? or maybe try to find out what i *really* want and need. if i
tell my plumber i want my toilet in my 20,000 square foot home to flush
faster, is he going to explain to me that i need a shit cannon? no, he will
install the shit cannon, and it will work with all the remote ceramics of my
home, regardless of what room they are in or who is crapping in them.

> We are know how this works. One browser comes up with a new feature that
> isn't in the standard. Some other browser implements a similar feature. If
> you want to use the feature you have to code it different for each
browser.
> THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO DO IT. Sure you can try and convince the client
> that they don't want that feature, but if the client really wants that
> feature then the client will get that feature. Maybe not from you, but
they
> will get it from someone.

yes, true, but they will also appreciate if you responsibly pursue the
solution, rather than boxing them into one way. there are always more than
one way to skin a cat.... both ways skin the cat, one way might be messier
though. i agree wholeheartedly trying to educate a client is a futile
effort, but providing them with intelligent solutions is what this business
is about (imho).

nagrom
http://www.morgankelsey.com