[thelist] targeting effectively

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 25 13:45:01 CST 2002

> >Note that in the UK, there is also legislation covering discrimination in
> >employment, so a JS-requiring CMS is also in trouble.

> And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there has never
> been a successful case where a non-governmental site was forced to
> put alt and title tags on all their images. The accessibility laws
> only apply to governmental sites ... just like it's a private
> company's prerogative to make their website accessible.

Can someone please educate me in the following:
1. how requiring that a browser have javascript turned on is employment
discrimination
2. how a non-publicly funded organization can be liable for not providing
access to ALL users
3. and how a company that is not registered in zimbabwe can be sued under
zimbabwe's laws regulating the internet (sorry to pick on zimbabwe, but
first non-US country to come to mind)

And while you're at it, can you provide any relevant court hearings that
discuss this in how they pertain to organizations that are not funded in
part by the governments of countries.

Last time I checked, providing a ramp to your office was your decision when
you met with the architect (if you are a non-government funded org).  Yes, I
can choose not to provide one, just like people can choose not to use my
company.