[thelist] flash: preloading before actually loading

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Mar 25 15:28:01 CST 2002

>How would I use the attachMovie() rather than
>loadMovie?

RTFM ... but in most cases loadMovie() is better - including the case
you described.

>Also, if I load a movie into a target SWF, then unload
>it, then reload soon afterwards, will it be cached the
>second time or will it take just as long to load?

To prevent a second loading, just toggle it's _visible property
instead of loading and unloading it. You might have to rethink your
entire movie to do it, but definitely keep that in mind when
designing your next one.

Whether a SWF is read from the cache or server errors on the side of
using a SWF from the browser cache - even when the last modified date
is newer than that in the cache. I'm not even sure how it's supposed
to work - all I know it that it doesn't in some cases and you have to
append dummy variables like '.swf?' + Math.random() to ensure it
comes from the server.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/