[thelist] Re: QT Detection (was Platform/Browser testers)

Bryan T talbot4 at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 26 15:34:01 CST 2002

on 3/26/02 9:15 AM, thelist-request at lists.evolt.org at
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> All of this mish-mash of broken standards, unpredictable css, java,
> javascript, html, xhmtl, DOM and devious browser developers, makes FlashMX
> look awefully tempting. I feel like adopting FlashMX for client side and PHP
> on the server gets me away from all the crap, would give me a reliable
> delivery of content without messing around with all these gotchas, and I
> would only lose a few people who cannot or will not install flash.
>
> Comments?
>

> Chris Mason

Yes indeedy, a mighty seductive prospect there. At the moment I'm building a
site with a Flash menu/logo, a photo in a liquid table, and CSS governing
the text and a page footer. My client/friend has an 18.5" monitor set on
the highest resolution known to (wo)man (I forget the actual numbers),
and his browser of choice: Netscape. As one might surmise, it's been a bit
of a balancing act, and it may never look exactly like he wants it to in
his preferred user-agent. Of course it's dead-on perfect in IE5x, but for
socio-political feelings toward Microsoft, he will not adapt...

Anyway, the most immediate reason I'm not doing the whole thing as a
fixed-window, full Flash site is size. The current content/layout triples in
size when all done in Flash, and I'm pretty well convinced I can't change
that in this situation. But yes, the concept you mention is attractive,
as long as you can keep the filesize reasonable and know your target.
I personally find nothing wrong with that, if it makes for a solid site.

Onward and Upward,
Bryan T