[thelist] Popup stoppers (was: Moral : Don't use...)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Mar 26 22:41:01 CST 2002

>Keep in mind, when using Pop-Up Stopper or PopUpKiller or similar
>programs, that many Windows applications are becoming more and more
>dependent upon various web and scripting technologies. These useful
>functions can be inadvertently interrupted by programs that are designed
>with the best intentions.

Thanks for pointing that out, David. I should have put in a warning too.

To give you an example of what David means, let's assume you have Pop-up
stopper enabled. Here are the side-effects:

1) Clicking on hyperlinks in your mail program won't open them in your browser
2) File > New > Window won't work, although Ctrl-N will
3) Clicking on JS links that open new windows for say, screenshots, or
polls, etc. will not work.

That's why I generally leave the program turned off unless I'm visiting a
site that I know will just open many pop-up windows.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant