[thelist] MySQL Permissions Going In Circles

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Wed Mar 27 10:27:02 CST 2002

<snip>
Why are you doing INSERTs into the GRANT tables? Bad plan. Use the GRANT
statement instead. Much, much easier to work with.
</snip>

I have done this for a long time to create users, then use the GRANT
statement to do the granting needed.

<snip>
Next: the fact that you're logged in as the Linux root user has no
effect on the MySQL user accessing the database. Log out of MySQL and
try logging in as the MySQL root user:

shell> /path/to/mysql/install/bin/mysql -u root -pMypassword
</snip>

Done, still no joy, I get an access denied.

<snip>
Can you use mysqladmin to set the password for the root/new accounts?

mysqladmin -u <username> password <new password>
</snip>

I seem to have no privileges at all. Guess it's time to copy the initial
distribution files.

Thanks!

Jay