[thelist] Progressive delays in IE5 (OT?)

Brian King BKing at Impact-Technologies.com
Thu Mar 28 15:13:14 CST 2002

Try emptying your browser cache.  If that helps for a while, then try
decreasing the size of the cache that the browser is allowed to create.  If
the cache gets too big, it starts to slow down IE.  IE likes to take a
percentage of your drive space for cache.  I f your drive is large, it tries
to save too much and has a hard time finding the cached pages in amongst the
thousands that it has saved in the cache folder.
- I know it sounds hookie, but have seen it before.

-----Original Message-----
From: databarn
Subject: [thelist] Progressive delays in IE5 (OT?)
Folk,

Has anyone run into this?  Each time a new page is loaded into IE, or a new
instance is spawned, there is a greater delay.  This is IE 5.01, formally
5.00.3315.1000, with 128-bit encryption, on a Win2K box.

At first, it was thought to be due to a web app, but tests showed it
affecting any web site.  Cannot find anything in MSDN that seems applicable.
Don't even know whether this is web-related, or a Win2K problem, or just a
local problem, but the same problem has been identified on one other
machine, also Win2K (most are at this location).

In testing, after changing pages many times, I've gotten the delay up to
thirty seconds.  The way it seems to work is thusly:
page loads, normal timeframe;
page address display in address bar is delayed;
browser cannot be closed normally, nor a new page loaded, until address bar
display reflects current page.

The delay increases by a [guessed] half-second or so each time.  Closing
_all_ browser instances and restarting the browser resets everything, but
does not end the problem.

Any thoughts?