[thelist] Re: [thelist]OT What's with this blog thing, anyway?

Roger L. Waggener waggener at vss.fsi.com
Thu Mar 28 16:41:01 CST 2002

As the process of running a website becomes easier through
such automations as MovableType (which I use) or, for the
free hosting folks, such tools as Blogger, more people will
begin running websites.

I think one of the main contributing factors, though, is that
the "blog format" is less intimidating since it can be
updated in smaller chunks.

For instance:

"Hi, everybody. Today, like, totally ROCKED!"

in some circles is considered a "blog entry".

I think it is this terse informality which eliminates the
obstacle of having to have something to write ABOUT that
has led to the meteoric rise of what is commonly called a blog.

Futher, I propose that what passes as a "blog" for most people
these days is NOT a blog in the strict sense of the word.

The term blog is a shortened form of weblog which, initially,
was a log of links contributors to the blog encountered along
with some commentary on what was found at the links.

Obviously, the example I posed above does not conform to this
format. I therefore humbly suggest the term "plog", short for
personal log, for sites that are not strictly blogs.

I also realize I am probably the only one who cares in the
least about such things, but I do feel that the term plog
is more descriptive of what most people call blogs these days.

If you care to spend the energy, perhaps you'd help me spread
this meme, which with the mere change of one letter in reference
to websites can communicate a great deal.

By the way, in case anybody on the list posted something similar
to my hypothetical example above to their blog today, I meant no
disrespect.

I run a strict blog AND a plog, but since I'm wierd, I strive to
keep them separate.

--
  And when they ask me if I speak Rhinoceros
	I'll say "Of cours-e-rous, don't you?"