[thelist] What's with this blog thing, anyway?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Mar 29 02:14:00 CST 2002

>Not just netfolk, though. Basic, everyday AOL users are
>doing this stuff
>now. It really is becoming what we talked about for a long time as
>community. It was neat when just the web-savvy were
>involved, but when your
>grandmother start putting content online every day, it's a
>bit different.
>This is why I find it worth discussing on thelist. This is
>why I see it as
>an indicator of something. Could this be an actual method
>to use the web for
>something good on a wide-spread basis?

I discovered the power of personal web logs after 9/11 when, looking
for news, google turned up this one:

http://partygirl.diaryland.com/index.html

I followed it every day and went along on the emotional roller
coaster ride.

(start here: http://partygirl.diaryland.com/010911_76.html )

To me this is the power of plogs - being able to see the world
through someone else's eyes, an ordinary person, not a view with
restrictions of politics or commerce, but a little bit of someone's
truth.

The Internet's power as a global communication medium is still in
it's infancy, when *everyone* has access and *everyone* posts their
thoughts and emotions, we might start to understand humanity better.

It's got to be a good thing?

No-one mentioned the google bombs either - another phenomenon that
shows the power of the blog.

<http://www.microcontentnews.com/articles/googleblogs.htm>

Tony

--
If you're suffering from email overload, check out NEO:
http://www.caelo.com/a/rl.php3?i=3NTVV