[thelist] Custom CMS

Ben Gustafson Ben_Gustafson at lionbridge.com
Fri Mar 29 10:00:00 CST 2002

> Philippe Jadin wrote:

> >Ken Kogler wrote:
> >
> >This could get ugly, but bear with me:
> >
> >The University I work for is currently rolling it's old
> >website over to
> >a new one that was done by an outside firm. The problem we're running
> >into is that we need to come up with some way of managing
> >the content.
> >
> look bellow, but imho it's a perfect fit for zope.

Ken,

I'm a Ben-come-lately to this thread, but I was glad to see someone else
mentioning Zope. It has a lot of things going for it that would be great for
a project like this, not the least of which being the open-source price tag.

Here are some general model you could follow with Zope:

* Use Zope as your app server and its built-in user management features
establishing ACLs, permissions and security.
* Use Zope's CMF and DCWorkflow Products for setting up your content
management roles and workflows.
* Use Zope acquisition for writing documents once and deploying them in
several sections. You'd still be able to use your breadcrumbs so it would
look like the document was in different sections of the site. And with a few
lines of code, Zope will write the breadcrumb trail for you.
* Track down some WYSIWYG front-end tool so your content authors don't need
to use markup.
* Store your content in XML, using the ParsedXML Product, and use XSL to
format it for Web, PDF, etc.

This sounds like a great opportunity to do your school a favor and help them
start creating reusable content within a fully integrated, open-source
platform.

Here are some relevant links:

Zope:
http://www.zope.org