[thelist] April Fools (anyone spotted the PHP one yet?)

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Mon Apr 1 11:39:01 CST 2002

This is plain weird...

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/test.php

It's the output from the standard phpinfo() page - except the PHP logo
at the top has been replaced by a photo of a bloke with what looks like
chips hanging out of his mouth. The same image is visible on EVERY
phpinfo() page I've visited today.

What's got me confused is that the image URL is this:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/test.php?=PHPE9568F36-D428-11d2-A769-00AA001ACF42

I'd always assumed that the logo image was generated by the web server
that PHP is installed on (hence the URL) - but for this to be an April
fool's prank from the PHP guys the image would have to be coming from
their server. So... how come the image URL points back to the phpinfo
page? Does the phpinfo() page grab the logo image from a php.net server
and pass it through to the requesting browser, and if so why (seems a
bit pointless).

Anyways, top marks to the PHP team for the most subtle April Fool's joke
I've seen all day but I'm still confused as to how it's technically
possible...

<tip type="bookmarklets">Bookmarklets are bookmarks with embedded
javascript that can do cool things to the web page you are visiting,
like change the background colour or enhance the navigation in some way.
They can be found on www.bookmarklets.com but a better collection of
more up to date bookmarklets resides in the right hand column of
www.web-graphics.com (there is a set of links under the header
"favemarklets"). A quick google search also brings up loads of them</tip>