[thelist] To Mark-Up Or Not To Mark-Up

Aaron Cole awcole72 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:43:01 CST 2002

I've been coding HTML for a few years now and have always had this nagging
question.  I'm wondering what others' take is on the subject.

Does everything on a page need to be marked up or can things like single
sentences be left alone?

An example would be the lead-in sentence just before a list

<-- begin example -->

Monkeys really like the following things:

<ul>
<li>bananas</li>
<li>grubs</li>
<li>homesite</li>
</ul>

<-- end example -->

Would you mark-up the first sentence in <p> tags are leave it alone?

I'm really curious to see if there is a consensus.

TIA,
Aaron