[thelist] To Mark-Up Or Not To Mark-Up

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Tue Apr 2 06:31:00 CST 2002

aardvark wrote:
/
> > From: Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
> [...]
> > I still think it makes sense structurally, as the list is a
> > continuation of the first sentence of the paragraph. But I suppose if
> > it becomes important enough to do that, enclose the lot in a div and
> > be done with it.
>
> why?  what value does a <div> bring at that point?  if it's just to have a
> container for styling, well, i suppose...

... /or/ for interactive manipulation. The original example was:

  Monkeys really like the following things:

  <ul>
    <li>bananas</li>
    <li>grubs</li>
    <li>homesite</li>
  </ul>

:: but this becomes a lot more useful if it's something like:

    Monkeys really like the following things:
    <ul>
      <li>bananas</li>
      <li>grubs</li>
      <li>homesite</li>
    </ul>

because I can provide client-side interactivity -- show/hide/rewrite
page segments -- based on /logical/ relationships.

And the above example could be a relatively easy transform from:

  <primates>
    <monkeys>
      <food>
        <likes>
	  <choice>bananas</choice>
  	  <choice>grubs</choice>
	  <choice>homesite</choice>
        </likes>
      </food>
    </monkeys>
  </primates>

So, long-term, I think that you're much better off to keep related
content 'boxed up' in logical containers.

YMMV :-)
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --